Saturday, December 31, 2005

Vocabulary Level Tests

These vocab level tests would be useful for student goal setting in self-access. I wonder whether similar tests for more specialized vocabulary, for a specific discipline like economics or a type of newspaper article, like articles on freedom of speech and defamation, let's say, might help with student goal setting as well. It's really nice to see the ideas from Nation's book online like this and ready to use with students.

To test it out, I absentmindedly, without concentrating much, did the Version A 10,000 vocabulary test and just slipped by with 83%. My point here is that these tests are difficult and require concentration even by heavy reading native speakers. I might have students actually study the words in the test before I had them do the test and recycle the words with further tests that covered different senses of the word and homonyms. One of these days, I'm going to write tests like this for the Burmese language.

No comments: